I’m excited for this new year, I mean who wouldn’t be? Regardless of how you think 2017 went for you, if you’re reading this it means you are already more fortunate and privileged than many people across the globe. Like seriously, you have access to the internet through either your laptop, tablet, or smart phone. Take a moment to think about a life without it. Most of us don’t realize our everyday privileges, myself included. (Done with rant here)
Here are my 10 New Year’s Resolutions:
- Donate, Volunteer, stop complaining. SO many charities both local and global that would appreciate donations that go to people/causes in need. Volunteer in your community! Food dispensaries, Animal shelters, non-profit orgs, etc. Try to stop complaining about 1st world problems. There is bigger issues happening in the world.
- Reducing my social media usage. I recently permanently deleted Twitter (BIG step for me) and further into the year I would like to just reduce the amount of time I spend scrolling on Instagram, tapping in on Snapchat, or watching pointless vids on YouTube.
- Living in the moment. I got this one from Kim K. I don’t want to be the person who is recording the concert instead of enjoying it live or too busy worrying about taking the right picture when I’m somewhere.
- Get healthier. Navigating the college life trying to figure out the best ways to eat healthy and be healthy without restricting my body too much. I want to be healthy. I’m (finally) at the point of my life where I don’t care how I look as long as I feel great.
- Be more confident! Like previously mentioned, I struggled a lot with self-confidence and body positivity. At some point I did not allow anyone to take pictures of me or with me. Thankfully, I am at a good place right now and would like to go up from here.
- Quality over Quantity. I cut people off my life this past year and will continue to do so if I feel like your energy is negative and toxic. It does not mean I hate or dislike them, it’s just me making a choice of who I want in my life. People who uplift you, radiate positivity, and fill you up with love all around are the people you should keep in your circle.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle If you know me, you know this one is SOO me. Lol. I have always done the most when it comes to taking care of our environment and this year I want to step it up. I want to do beach clean ups, stop using straws and plastic bags, and not buying water bottles ever again.
- Love yourz. I’m not a hardcore J.Cole fan but the message behind this song really speaks the truth. You’re never going to be happy until you love your life and stop comparing it to others. “Crooked Smile” is also a good one. I Encourage everyone to listen to it if you have not.
- Being more consistent. I’m all about trying new things and saying “I’m not doing that anymore, I’m doing this.” But then giving up or just not keeping up with it. I caught myself doing this throughout 2017 and I know that being more consistent is something that will take time to achieve because habits tend to be hard to break but hey, slowly but surely I will get there.
- Blog.Blog.Blog. I’ve been wanting to do this for such a long time. I’m so excited I’m finally committing to it. I pour my heart and soul to everything I’m passionate about and I’m excited to have additional support from friends and family.
These are my top 10 resolutions this year. I have tailored them to fit my life, but I’m sure some of these align to yours too. I hope that you have a prospering 2018! ‘Till next time.